- The Google “Core Web Vitals” update may be the most important ranking factor of 2021
- WordPress site owners are dropping Elementor as it fails to pass the speed test
- Slow page builders are in trouble as users prioritize new vitals known as LCP, FID, and CLS.
Website owners are gearing up to be ready for April 2021 when Google is expected to make core web vitals a major ranking factor. Already some sites who have seen the sudden appearance of a red graph showing pages with poor core web vitals, are reporting a loss of ranking.
The greatest obstacle WordPress site owners encountered to date? Those beautiful page builders.
Elementor sites are the slowest – with developers unable to find solutions
Regardless of what Elementor may say on it’s official website, top developers claim that it is simply impossible to obtain a good overall core web vital score for sites running on ELEMENTOR – it is slow by nature and despite all the “optimization” tips in the world, it just cannot compete with Guttenberg blocks and Oxygen builder. The endgame for many developers is having to kiss goodbye their favorite theme builder in exchange for a lighter, faster solution.
What is exactly is “Core Web Vitals” from Google?
Core Web Vitals are specific factors that Google regards as important for a website’s user experience. Core Web Vitals consists of three specific page speed and user interaction measurements: largest contentful paint, first input delay, and cumulative layout shift. It is one of the most crucial SEO ranking factors in 2021, when Google made it clear that it will “rank web pages, not websites”.
Is my website affected?
To know for certain, refer to the special report in Google Search Console below:
Tips to improve core web vitals on WordPress:
- Uninstall bulky page builders like Elementor
- Use CDN and CACHE plugins like WPRocket
- Use lazyload as much as possible
- Use SSR and CSR rendered content
- Break up assets into smaller chunks
- Reduce the overall page size
- Move away from JPG to WebP image
- Stop cutting corners on web development: hire a genius!
Final scoop – The SEO budget should include on-site technical:
2021 Will not be a year to cut corners with on-site technical factors. Considering the millions of dollars that companies spend on SEO (on-site, link building, outreach PR etc.), it is worth it for most to spend just a few thousand to deal with core web vitals. Plug the leaking holes in your expense bucket by taking good care of core web vitals before April this year.