The air raid over the Jamraya military complex, was the first Israeli assault forged between Bashar Assad and Hassan Nasrallah on the Syrian-Hizballah military compact. DEBKAfile’s military sources report, this strategic import of operation took place with the approval of the U.S. President.
There are many signs that shows that it was a surgical strike on a predefined target that could be compared to Israel’s attack on the North Korean nuclear reactor in 2007. The nuclear reactor was still under construction and the object of the strike was to make sure that the nuclear link between Syria, Iran and North Korea severed before the nuclear reactor was completed. The consequence of that strike was that Tehran and Pyongyang pushed out Syria out of their nuclear plan for fear that Israel could easily mark any nuclear site in Syria due tof its proximity.
The importance of this latest attack on the Syrian military based lies on 3 key objectives.
The Jamraya complex was intended to serve the military agenda of Iran, Syria and Hizballah. That is the key reason why it was selected for the strike.
The decision to go for an air strike was intended to disrupt the cooperative military efforts between and 3 allies in Lebanon and Syria.
This can be seen as a first step from Israel to take part in the Syrian conflict.
The DEBKA-Net-Weekly was the first to report that the Israeli strike went on with the approval of President Obama after he was informed about the plan by by AMAN (Israeli Military Intelligence) on the 22nd January.
Another Debkafile sources also reported that at the same time Russian leader were also warned about the coming attack on Syria. The Russian side objected against the attacks by at the same time failed to warn the Syrian leaders about what was coming who were then taken by surprise. After the raid, the Syrian ruler was advised by Moscow to refrain exacerbating the military situation going on with Israel.
The air strike over Jamraya has 2 key consequences in the future:
- The first one is that Israel and its armed forces, the IDF can now consider itself to have a green light from the White House to intervene in the Syrian war. That was not the case 2 years ago after they were kept out of involvement in the Arab Revolt.
- The implication is that Tehran will now consider itself to be under attack too. The fact is Officials in Iran had already made a public statement last week warning that any attack directed to Syria would be seen as an attack on Iran, a message that was probably taken note of by the officials in Washington.
DEBKAfile’s sources reveal that the change of position of the U.S. President was due to Iran’s withdrawal from secret talks that he set to resolve the nuclear issue using diplomatic means.
Then Tehran went on to inform the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that high-speed IR2m centrifuges were to be installed to increase the enrichment of uranium at the Fordo underground facility. This was followed by the resignation of Gary Samore, the President’s Coordinator for Weapons of Mass Destruction. His resignation reflected the fact that he did not see any other way of curbing Iran’s intention to go for a nuclear weapon.
DEBKAfile discloses that it is all those events put together that led to the U.S. President’s decision to give the go ahead to Israel to strike the Syrian military complex. It was a way to broadcast a signal to Tehran that if they don’t come back to the negotiation table, the U.S. will have to rely on the IDF as a hammer to break the Iran-Syrian Hizballah axis
Latest posts by Loic (see all)
- Pinterest vs Amazon, who wins the “Pin”? - March 31, 2013
- Weekly roundup: Facebook smartphone statistics, Android event and reply option - March 31, 2013
- The new US Secret Service Chief is a woman - March 29, 2013